Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Fireman's Turkey Day

Today is Thanksgiving! Being thankful, eating turkey, watching football, relaxing...will any of those things happen today? That remains to be seen...

My day started WAY early...3am to be exact. I woke up around then and couldn't get back to sleep. I tossed...nothing. I turned...nothing. I flipped and flopped...NOTHING. What a heck of a way to start the day, especially when I needed to wake up at 5am to get ready for work.

I got to work around 6a and started loading up for the 10k I'd be running later on. Every Thanksgiving, Montgomery County hosts its annual 10k Turkey Trot, a little 6.2 jaunt around Bethesda. It is routinely the biggest race in the county, with last year drawing around 5000 people. The weather was beautiful this morning, so it was looking like today would draw even more people, if not to run than definitely to cheer.

After line up, Melvin dropped me off at station 1 so I could ride with Chad Rogers down to the race on A701. We got there and saw what we usually see on race days: lots of people milling about, warming up, jogging, talking and stretching. We parked over by a large group of people wearing red shirts and blue sweatpants and shorts. Those people turned out to be the most recent fire department recruit class; they had all showed up to run! I don't think they had much choice in the matter, but it was great to see them showing support as a class. There were also various other fire department people there, including Dave Kennedy, who had been off for a while, recovering from being injured at a fire. It was good to see him up and about and he seemed in good spirits.

At 8:30a, the gun went off and we started running! The weather continued to stay beautiful, with a nice breeze hitting us every now and then. I felt good the entire race, and ended up finishing in 54 minutes, which wasn't too bad as far as I was concerned. When I finished, I saw Larocco and Price, which was cool because I had no idea they were there. We chatted for a bit, then headed our own separate ways. I met back up with Chad and, after dropping off a couple girls at Suburban Hospital (their friend hurt her ankle and got transported there), we headed back to 12. He dropped me off and I did the most important thing I could do at that time: EAT BREAKFAST!

Now I've eaten, showered, and am just chillin'. The recruits, after going back to the academy and showering, have been assigned to stations around the county to ride along for the rest of their day (5p). We've got three recruits...the one riding the ambulance with me has got a tattoo on the back of his head! But he's a pretty cool guy. To each his own, right?

1 comment:

Young Traveler said...

Indeed. To each his own.