Sunday, November 22, 2009

Waiting

Here's a poem I wrote that captures how I've been feeling lately.

"Waiting - A Psalm"

Night falls and I cannot sleep.
Comfort is not found between the sheets,
And closing my eyes brings no rest.
This night, I am awake and watching.
Watching for that first light to break, for the darkness to retreat, for the shadows to scatter.
I watch and wait for the morning sun.
Since creation’s birth, the sun has always come, never late and never alone.
The sun brings the promise of a new day,
Of hopes fulfilled and of prayers answered.
The sun reveals what was concealed.

Oh Lord, this night, you are my sun and I wait for you.
I yearn to see what lies ahead, but all I see are unanswered questions.
In walking life’s path, sometimes I can’t see around the bend.
I’m afraid to turn the corner and come face to face with my own uncertainty.
But with you, Oh Lord, I have strength beyond strength.
With you, my God, I have sight beyond sight.
With you I will face the unseen.

You are coming, my God.
You are my morning light, always on time;
You scatter the darkness and shrink back the shadows.
I will face the night with renewed strength, for you are coming.
You are my strength and my might, my vision and my rest.
On you, my God, will I wait.

No comments: